10 Excellent Veggie Protein Foods
Either being vegetarian or eating less meat can often mean eating a lot of eggs and dairy, especially cheese. I know, I do! Getting more vegetarian protein into your diet that isn't dairy can help in maintaining or losing weight and increasing energy levels. Here are my top 10 in no particular order.
1. Quinoa - From South America. The grain with the highest amount of protein.
3. Beans - My favourites are butter beans, red kidney beans and black-eyed beans. Tinned ones are ready to use hot or cold and tasty in salads as well as soups and stews.
4. Tofu - I like the marinated pieces which can be stir-fried easily. Also nice in miso soup.
5. Quorn - As a family Quorn mince helps create veggie versions of classics like Shepherd's Pie and Spaghetti Bolognese bringing everyone in the family together. They also do a tasty range of ready meals for emergencies!
6. Spirulina- My supplement of choice. Lifts energy and has surprisingly high amounts of protein too. Naturya Organic Spirulina Powder 200 g Nutritional Power Food Pouch
7. Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, hemp and sesame are my regulars. Buy them ground into a powder to sprinkle on salad, soup, smoothies or cereal. Virginia Harvest Crushed Sunflower and Pumpkin Seed 100 g (Pack of 5) Or dry fry and add tamari for a tasty snack.
8. Avocado - Cut in half, add lemon and oil with a dash of pepper - the ultimate snack. Great for your skin too.
9. Nuts - Keep a variety - brazil, almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios ... Don't over do them though if you want to lose weight.
10. Fresh sprouts - This Spring start sprouting at home. Buy some packs of ready mixed seeds, invest in a sprouter - they taste great on salads or hidden into smoothies for the kids. A.Vogel BioSnacky Large Germinator
I am not a nutritionist but hopefully you will find this useful in improving your diet and how you feel.
Share your experiences in the comments below.