One of my favourite techniques for getting something done without distraction or interruption is the Pomodoro Technique.
Devised in the 1980s by Francesco Cirillo, the technique enhances focus and concentration and reduces the anxiety of time using the simple Pomodoro kitchen timer, a tomato shaped ticking timer.
The basic unit of work in the Pomodoro Technique® can be split in five simple steps:
- Choose a task to be accomplished
- Set the Pomodoro to 25 minutes (the Pomodoro is the timer)
- Work on the task until the Pomodoro rings
- Take a short break (5 minutes is OK) 5, Every 4 Pomodoros take a longer break
- I use this simple app on my Mac.
You can read more about the technique and download a free e-book here.