Ayurveda is the Indian science of health and wellbeing.
Literally it means the knowledge of long life. (Not bad, eh?) You can discover your Ayurvedic constitution(Dosha) here on the Pukka website. Whatever your type though the following morning routine is an ideal way to set you up to optimise your day.
- Wake - Early. The earlier the better. You don't want to stress about not having enough time do you?
- Massage all over with Organic Sesame Oil. This is a good guide.
- Shower - not too cold or too hot.
- Brush your teeth. Try an Ayurvedic toothpaste like Vicco. Warning - it might take time to get used to the taste but it will be worth it.
- Scrape your tongue. Yes now it's getting a bit weird. But it makes sense. There is a build up of waste on your tongue (white stuff called Ama) and this is the best way to clean it. You can buy one here - Ayurvedic Tongue Cleaner .
- Now you're ready for some meditation. Even 10 minutes a day will make a difference. If you find getting into the habit difficult try Headspace it's a cool online meditation site that will support you on your way.
- Another 10 minutes on controlled breathing to clear your energy channels and bring balance to your internal systems. We call this Pranayama in Yoga.
- Lastly a short 10 minute yoga session including a couple of minutes of relaxation.
- You are now ready for the day. Start with some hot water to flush the system followed by your ablutions. You can then sit down calmly for some delicious Ayurvedic Porridge.
Try it just once and see how your day goes.
It might sound a lot but only needs a little over 30 minutes more than usual.
Let me know how you get on.